Opening Ceremonies - Winter Festival Of Lights
Nov 8th, 2013 Toni Williams
The big day is tomorrow for the Opening Ceremonies for the Ontario Power Generation Winter Festival of Lights. Here's a sneak peek of what's being installed. Here's my 'Coles Notes' version:
Opening Ceremonies Sat November 9th
When: 2 pm
- Performance by traditional Korean dance and drum troupes
- Musical entertainment from Brooklyn Roebuck to the Niagara Stars Singers
- Ice sculpture demonstrations, photo exhibits, train rides and free photos with Santa
- Commemorative ceremony for Niagara's Korean War Veterans with the Honorable Rob Nicholson, Minister of National Defense, and Mr. Kwangkyn Chung Consul-Gneral for the Conulate of the Repulic of Korea
- Performances by the Niagara Regional Pipe Band, Queenston Ladies Choir and the Niagara Memorial Militaries Alumni Drum Corps
- Food vendors
When: 3 pm - 6pm
- Mobile culinary theatre
- Unique Korean flair will take place as chefs Soung An, Jane Jhung and Sang Kim participate in cooking demonstrations. Samples will be available!
When: 3:30 - 6:00 pm
- Autographed session with YTV's Next Star, Brooklyn Roebuck
Official Flip the Switch
- 2 hour stage production
- O Holy Night, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bell Rock and more
- Performances by: Niagara Institue and Dingman-Nagy School of Ballet Arts
Fireworks over the Falls
- Niagara Symphony Orchestra conducted by Bradely Thachuck choreographed live to a 15 minute firework extravaganza concludes the performance
In Queen Victoria Park along the Niagara Parkway
- Canadian - American Flag display (worlds largest)
- Niagara's Iconic Skylon Tower
- Two-story high Zimmerman Fountain
- Religions of the World Displays
- Hand Painted Lantern Displays
- Tunnel of Wish Lanterns from the award-winning Jinju Namgang Yudeung FEstival of South Korea
- Free event
- donations will be accepted on site
- donations for Project Share accepted on site
Table Rock Welcome Centre
Is there seating available?
Yes the park is fully accessible and seating arrangments can be made for those in wheelchairs
What should I bring?
Bring your family and friends, your camera, warm clothing. Please no outside food or drinks - these are not allowed on site.
Are there washrooms available?
yes there are 2 options for washroom facilities - those located on-stie and those located at the River's Edge Restaurant, which is located on the south side (across Murray Street) off of Queen Victoria Park.